Thursday, January 19, 2012

Palak Roti

Hey .....again a break, but i came back..thats good..

Wish you all a happy and prosperous new year. I wish this year brings lots of luck and loads of fun to everybody. 

Hmmmm... let me tell you the reason for me taking a break again. Its my kid. Yes. She now has learnt climbing up and getting down from all diwans, sofas, chairs and there is no stopping for her. She's keeping me on my toes. I'm literally running around and preventing her from falling down from those damn things she is scaling. My god, these kids have so much energy and patience when it comes to test us. In one minute, she has climbed the sofa 8 times. Yeah, she climbs up...I go and put her down and before I get myself seated somewhere, she is up on it again. Gosh..it's been so tiring. But one good thing is, that's a great exercise (Now i'm so used to it, that, I've started seeing the bright side of it ;-))


Anyway, coming to my experiments in the kitchen, I prepared Palak Roti few days back. I happen to eat delicious palak paneer in a restaurant and felt that I should use it more in my regular cooking. I'm not really fond of it because the last time I used palak was to prepare Palak Kofta. The curry's taste has come really nice but what put me off was its colour. I did some mistake and the colour turned to brown from green. From then, I never tried new things like palak paneer, kofta curry etc., with palak. I only used it for preparing a regular tried and tested south Indian "Aakukoora Pappu". 

With so much enthusiasm, I went and bought 2 bunches of Palak leaves and tried Palak roti. I'm not really good at making stuffed paranthas, so I decided to mix it with the dough and make rotis out of it. But I was not sure how my family will welcome the taste of raw Palak leaves in rotis. Then I decided to blanch the leaves and make it as a paste and use it. Also I added onions so that they will enhance the bland taste of Palak. 

Now, I had an idea of how to do it and did in the same way. But, there was a glitch. The onions I added were not small enough to mix well in to the dough. I'd a tough time while rolling the rotis and the onions kept popping out each time I rolled the dough. Finally, I managed to make small rotis (without much rolling) as I can not roll properly. The roti's tasted good but, I was not really satisfied because they were thicker than regular rotis. 

The Next day, I tried again the same recipe with a little change. I replaced the chopped onion with grated onion. 

Viola...it worked and this time, my rotis turned beautiful (Yes! beautiful because, they were in a pleasing green color) and yummy. They were so so so delicious. I've decided to use it more often. Have a quick peep in to this recipe.

Ingredients:

  • Whole wheat flour 2 cups
  • Palak leaves 1 bunch
  • Green Chilli 4
  • Grated onions 2 medium size
  • Turmeric powder 1 tsp
  • Salt as required
  • Sugar 1 tsp
  • Oil 2 tblsp
  • Dhania powder 1 tsp
  • Garam masala 1 tsp
  • Coriander leaves finely chopped 2 to 3 tbsp
  • Water as required to mix


Method

1. Blanch Palak leaves in hot water for 10 minutes and strain the leaves.


2. Make a paste of it and keep aside.
3. Take wheat flour in to large mixing bowl and add chillis, salt, sugar, turmeric powder, dhania powder and garam masala and oil to the wheat flour.


4. Mix it well and now add palak paste.

5. Add grated onion and coriander leaves.
6. Mix all the ingredients (without using water). knead well to make the dough. If the water from palak paste and onions is not enough add little water and prepare the dough.


 7. Divide the dough in to small portions and make rotis (as per your required size).



Thanks for stopping by and have a good day....

Amby

1 comment: